The following tutorial will show you How to Install YouTube Kodi Addon. The method provided here works on FireStick, Amazon Fire TV, Fire TV Cube, Android TV & Box, Windows & Mac Computers, Android & iOS Mobile Devices, and all other platforms on which Kodi is supported.
YouTube is undoubtedly the largest live and on-demand streaming platform in the world. Users can not only interact with hundreds of independent content creators but also upload their content to connect with other viewers. It currently has over two billion users across the globe and millions of hours worth of ad-supported content, which includes short videos on different topics, movies, original series, music videos, and many more.
Similar to the vast availability of YouTube worldwide, the official YouTube app also supports a wide range of devices (including your smart toaster). However, legacy devices with very low-end hardware or outdated software might restrict you from streaming YouTube.
Whether your streaming device is powered by low-end hardware or mid-range, Kodi is a must-have for every one of them. Because of its heavy optimizations, it can run smoothly even on low-spec SoCs without hiccups. The media management software is mostly used for content consumption, and it is very popular among cord-cutters due to its third-party developer community that offers free video streaming Kodi add-ons.
You can also get the YouTube addon for your Kodi streaming setup, in case the official YouTube app is not compatible with your device. Alternatively, having quick access to YouTube directly from the Kodi app will save you from the hassle of switching between different apps. It makes up for a unified streaming experience.
This Kodi guide has everything you need to install the YouTube addon on Kodi, along with the first time setup process.
Features of YouTube Kodi Addon
- The YouTube add-on lets you sign in to your existing YouTube account so that you can access your subscriptions and receive personalized video recommendations.
- You can stream YouTube videos in up to 4K resolution. It also offers VP9 for high-bitrate videos, as well as HDR playback on supported hardware.
- The YouTube add-on gives users the option to enable subtitles (closed captioning) and auto-play.
- It loads up selected content pretty much instantly, unlike other video add-ons. Kodi’s built-in media player also eliminates stutters and frame drops.
- You won’t have to install a third-party repository to get the YouTube add-on, as it is available for download in the official Kodi add-on repository.
How to Install YouTube Kodi Addon?
Although the YouTube addon is not officially developed by YouTube, it is based on open-source code. Hence, Kodi developers have included it in its official add-on repository, which comes pre-bundled with the vanilla Kodi versions. If you don’t know how to install add-ons on Kodi, then follow the steps below to install the YouTube addon on Kodi.
- First, open up the Kodi app on your device.
- Scroll down the sidebar on the left of the Kodi home screen and select the Add-ons
- Now highlight and click the opened-box icon right above the Video add-ons tab.
- Navigate down the Add-on browser page to select Install from Repository.
- Click on the Kodi Add-on repository.
- After that, select Video add-ons on the following page.
- Next, scroll all the way down to the list and select YouTube.
- Finally, click the Install A few additional add-ons will also be installed for the YouTube add-on to work properly. Click OK to proceed.
- After the YouTube add-on gets downloaded and installed on Kodi, a dialog box will appear on the screen, prompting you to execute the setup wizard. Click Yes to continue to the setup.
- Click Yes to adjust your language and region, select your language for the add-on (preferably English), and choose your region from the list.
- The setup wizard will ask you to give it geolocation permission. You can either click Yes or No based on your preference.
That’s it! You can now launch the YouTube add-on from the Video add-ons category in the Add-ons page, which you can access from the Kodi home screen.
How to Set Up API on YouTube Kodi Addon?
Before you get to the sign-up process, you will have to connect the YouTube API to the add-on so that it can function as intended. Otherwise, you won’t be able to stream any videos. Since the process is a bit tedious, make sure you follow the steps carefully as shown below.
- First of all, visit developers.google.com from a different device. Log in to your Google account if required.
- Select your country, tick the box to agree to Google’s terms of service, then click Agree and Continue.
- Click the Select a project option next to the Google APIs logo.
- Next, click New Project on the upper-right corner of the pop-up box.
- Now type in “YouTube Kodi Add-on” in the Project Name field, and click Create.
- After that, open a new tab in the web browser and head over to developers.google.com/apis/library.
- Scroll down to the YouTube category and select YouTube Data API v3 from the list of Google APIs.
- Click Enable to add the API in your project.
- Once again, go to google.com/apis/credentials, then click the Create Credentials option in the top actions bar.
- Select API key from the drop-down menu. An API key will be generated. Click the clipboard icon next to the key to copy it, and paste it in a document file.
- Now close the pop-up and select OAuth Consent Screen from the left-hand sidebar.
- Choose External as the User Type, then click Create.
- Enter “YouTube Add-on API” under the Application name field. Skip all the other options and hit the Save button below.
- Select Credentials from the sidebar, and click the Create Credentials option once again.
- Choose OAuth Client ID from the drop-down menu. Select Other and You will be asked to name the application. Enter “YouTube Add-on API” and click Create.
- A client ID and client secret code will be given to you. Copy and paste both of them in the same document file.
- Now launch the YouTube add-on in Kodi and select the Settings option below.
- Select API from the sidebar of the Settings menu. After that, enter the API key, client ID (API ID), and client secret (API Secret) in the respective field carefully.
- Click OK to return to the YouTube add-on home screen.
Assuming that you have followed the steps shown above, the add-on is ready to be used for streaming YouTube videos. Go through to the next set of instructions to sign in to the YouTube Kodi addon.
Guide to Sign In to YouTube Kodi Addon
By signing in to the YouTube add-on, you will get access to your subscription feed and watch history. The following steps will show you the way to sign in to the YouTube Kodi addon.
- Click the Sign In option on the home screen of the add-on.
- If the add-on prompts you to log in to your YouTube account with at least two applications, then click OK to dismiss the prompt.
- The add-on will generate an activation code for your login session. Visit google.com/device from another device, enter the code shown in Kodi, and click Next.
- Click Allow to grant the add-on permissions to access your YouTube profile.
- Another code will be generated in the YouTube Kodi add-on. Follow the same steps again.
- If you receive an error message after clicking Next, click the Advanced Settings link, and select the Go to Kodi YouTube (unsafe)
- Finally, click Allow to finish the account authorization process.
Congrats! You have successfully logged in to the YouTube Kodi add-on with your account. You can now stream videos on-demand from your favorite YouTube channels via Kodi.
A Short Overview of the YouTube Addon on Kodi
Although the initial setup process is quite intricate, you get the benefits of having YouTube integrated into Kodi in the end. The add-on uses Kodi’s text-based user interface, which is useful considering that it offers smoother navigation on low-end devices.
The categories on the home screen of the add-on are self-explanatory. It includes My Subscriptions, Recommendations, Live, Popular right now, Liked Videos, Playlists, History, Saved Playlists, Search, and Settings.
From the Settings, you can adjust the video quality, as well as configure subtitles. On supported hardware, you can also enable adaptive video resolution and enable HDR playback. You will also find the options to clear search and playback history.
- How to Install Rising Tides Kodi Addon
- How to Install TVTap Kodi Addon
- How to Install Exodus Addon on Kodi
This guide extensively follows the installation, first time API setup, and activation process of the YouTube Kodi addon. Despite the fact that it is officially compatible with Kodi Leia, you can also install and use the add-on on Kodi Krypton, albeit with limited functionality.
If you find this Kodi guide helpful, then be sure to leave your feedback in the comments. Also, check out our other Kodi guides while you are here.