With the rise of affordable streaming services and streaming hardware, cable TV services have seen a considerable decline in their userbase. However, popular telecommunication companies like AT&T in the United States have migrated its television business over the internet with the TV Everywhere initiative.
AT&T TV and AT&T TV NOW are prime examples of two different types of live TV streaming services. While AT&T TV requires users to sign in with their AT&T cable provider account, AT&T TV NOW asks for a monthly subscription instead of requiring users to have a cable TV connection.
In the United States, there are many OTT live TV streaming services, such as YouTube TV, fuboTV, Sling, Philo, Hulu Live TV, etc. TV Everywhere services like HBO, ABC, CBS, and ESPN are also really popular among those who still pay for a cable TV connection.
However, the cord-cutting scene is not quite mature in European countries, especially in the United Kingdom. The sky is one of the most popular cable TV providers in the UK, and it does also offer its standalone live and on-demand video streaming service named Sky Go. Sky TV subscribers can use it without paying an additional cost.
Amazon Fire TV is a widely accepted streaming platform across the world. Since you have clicked on this article, you most probably own a Firestick for online content consumption. If you have a Sky TV subscription, then you might wonder whether it’s possible to stream live TV channels and on-demand content via Sky Go on Firestick. You can continue reading this article to learn more.
What Is Sky Go?
Sky Go is a TV Everywhere service that offers live TV channels, along with a huge library of on-demand content from several American and British television networks.
Based on your Sky TV subscription, you get access to over 70+ channels, which include ITV, BBC, Channel 4, NHK World, RT, Sky Atlantic, Sky News, British Eurosport, Cartoon Network, as well as all Sky Sports and Sky Movies channels. It even includes catch-up content at no extra cost.
The on-demand streaming library on Sky Go is quite massive. Popular TV shows like Grey’s Anatomy, Westworld, Modern Family, Teen Mom UK, War of The Worlds, Upright, Gangs of London, The Walking Dead, NCIS, The Wire, Avenue 5, Dad’s Army, and dozens more are available to stream on Sky Go.
Since Sky Go includes Sky Movies, you will also be able to stream the latest blockbuster Hollywood and British films on the go. Popular movies like Men In Black: International, Spider-Man: Far From Home, Pokemon Detective Pikachu, Ma, The Lion King, Aladdin, Avengers: Endgame, and Star Wars: Rise Of Skywalker can be found in Sky Go’s on-demand streaming library.
On a supported device, Sky Go even offers streaming in Ultra HD resolution, with Dolby Digital 5.1 audio stream. Live TV channels are capped to HD resolution, in case you are wondering. Closed captioning is also available for movies and TV shows.
Sky Go can be streamed on one device at a time. If you can pay £5 extra for the Sky Go Extra add-on, then you can stream Sky Go on two devices simultaneously over Wi-Fi. Download functionality is also unlocked for those who are on a limited data connection.
Although Sky TV is available in several European countries, the Sky Go streaming service is limited to the United Kingdom, Ireland, Austria, France, Germany, etc.
Features Of Sky Go
- Sky Go lets you watch up to 70+ live TV channels and 1000+ movies/TV shows. (Exclusive to Sky TV subscribers)
- Sky Go Extra subscribers can download on-demand content and watch anywhere without a cellular or Wi-Fi connection.
- DVR is available with the option to set up recording schedules directly from the channel guide.
- You can stream select content in up to 4K (2160p) resolution depending on your device’s hardware capabilities.
- On-demand content on Sky Go is mostly ad-free, which doesn’t interrupt your binge-watching sessions.
Can You Watch Sky Go On FireStick?
Sky Go can be downloaded on a wide range of devices. However, it is not officially available for Fire TV devices. Although some websites claim to have the Android version of Sky Go working on Firestick via sideloading, we have tried it ourselves and found it to be an attempt to mislead the Firestick users.
Sky Go is unavailable on the Amazon Appstore for unknown reasons. But, we can assume that Sky doesn’t want its subscribers to replace the Sky TV set-top box with a Firestick for live TV and on-demand content consumption.
What Devices Can You Use to Watch Sky Go?
You can watch Sky Go on a smartphone or tablet running Android 4.4/iOS 10 or later versions of the operating systems. The Sky Go desktop app is available for Windows and macOS devices.
If you have a PlayStation 4 or Xbox One gaming console, then you can also use it for watching Sky Go. However, you will need the Sky Go Extra add-on in order to enjoy Sky Go on gaming consoles.
Best Sky Go Alternatives On Firestick
Below is a list of few alternatives that offer almost the same amount of live and on-demand content as Sky Go, if not more. These services are officially available on the Amazon App Store, and you can install them easily on your Firestick.
- BBC iPlayer: Offers BBC-exclusive TV shows, movies, news, and sports content on-demand, and 30-days of catch-up content.
- My5: My5 gives you access to the live feeds of Channel 5, 5Star, 5USA, 5Select, and the Paramount Network channels. It even offers hundreds of on-demand content for free.
- All 4: With the All 4 app, you can watch Channel 4, E4, More4, Film4, and 4seven channels, as well as full seasons of Channel 4’s popular TV shows, and 30 days worth of catch-ups. Everything is ad-supported, and it doesn’t ask you to pay for a subscription.
- ITV Hub: Offers 24/7 streams for ITV, ITV2, ITVBe, ITV3, ITV4, and CITV channels without any subscription tiers. Exclusive On-demand content and catch-up shows are also available to stream on ITV Hub.
This article has hopefully cleared your doubts on whether you can watch Sky Go on Firestick or not. Until Sky finally decides to roll out Sky Go for Amazon Fire TV, you can download and install the alternative streaming apps mentioned here.
If you have more questions regarding this topic, don’t hesitate to ask us via the comments section below. We will soon reach out to you with an apt reply.